Friday, March 6, 2015

Inspiration to Annoying?

So, something has been on my mind for quite some time.  When I first started posting my workout pictures and videos to Facebook, I had so many people cheering me on and telling me what an inspiration I was. I continued to post, because that was the whole reasoning behind it.  I wanted to inspire others to get up and work out; even if it was just the exercise I posted, at least they were doing something.  I was (an am) always so thrilled to hear people tell me that seeing my video made them get up and do it themselves.  Fast forward a few weeks later, and I was told by people that my workout posts were annoying and was even told that I need to "get over" myself.  I let the haters get to me, and I stopped posting for awhile.  When I finally came back to reality and realized that other's opinions don't matter, I started posting again.

What gets me is that a lot of the same people that were once my biggest cheerleaders have now unfriended me on Facebook and/or unfollowed me on Instagram (yes, I know if you unfollow me, I have an app).  Yet those same people that are annoyed by my fitness posts are telling others how inspiring their posts are.  Now, with that said, these people they are cheering on are at the beginning of their fitness journey and have some weight to lose.  While I will never take away from their journey, and I will continue to cheer them on myself, I have to wonder what really makes someone an inspiration to others?

It seems like those that are overweight and are just starting off getting into a fitness routine are considered inspiring.  Those that are underweight and are working out to get healthy and build muscle are also considered inspiring.  But where does that leave those of us that never had a ton of weight to lose or to gain? Those of us that were unhappy with how we felt, so we took the steps needed to become healthy?  It seems like those people don't get credit for the hard work we put in, because in some people's eyes, we were never unhealthy to begin with.  They think we have it easy, maybe? I, for one, may not have looked extremely unhealthy, but I most definitely was.  I was 20 pounds heavier than I am now, lazy, and severely depressed.  I took control of my life over 8 years ago, and have been going strong since then.  I don't care how much you weigh when you start, if you are active and now living a healthy lifestyle, you are just as inspiring as the next person.

Not everyone has a big elaborate story as to why they work out, or why they want to eat healthy, etc. I am not one that is going to let other people's opinions stop me from being who I am today.  But not everyone is like that.  Don't discourage someone from being a healthier version of themselves, just because you're tired of seeing their fitness/health related posts.  If you don't want to encourage them, then next best thing to do is to skim over the posts and move on to the next thing.  Or better yet, try out what they're posting.  You may realize it isn't as easy as it looks, and it may encourage you do it more often.......


2006


2015


No comments:

Post a Comment